Source: MM, 3S 3.
During the General Chapter of 1938, Pope Pius XI, a friend of the Congregation, asked for an audience with the Chapter delegates. On this occasion, he gave them various directives and expressed his wish that the motherhouse be transferred to Rome.
World War II delayed consideration of the matter, but circumstances forced the Congregation to act in Monte Mario when the municipality of Rome threatened to expropriate the property. In fact, the house was no longer occupied. In the early days of the Cenacle’s presence in Rome, the property had served as a summer home to escape the excessive heat of the city. At the time, the house was in the countryside near the city. But the rapid increase in population led to the construction of new urban areas. The municipality’s threat was clear: if the Cenacle did not live on the property, it would have to give up the land to allow for the development of a new neighbourhood. At the 1956 Chapter, the construction of the generalate in Monte Mario was announced. The plans were approved in September 1957 by the civil authorities.
In these photographs, Mother Germaine Saglio, General Treasurer, Mother Bachelez and Mother Eugenia Maranzana are studying the land where the foundations of the new house will be laid. They are with engineer Anselmo Poma Murialdo and builder Micheli [1957].
In the photograph on the right, the large white building is the house built in 1905 for the apostolate and sold in 1931 to the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary. In the middle is the old house that served the community (now destroyed). On the left is one of the few buildings already constructed in the neighborhood.
